Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
BOOKS
 Beyond Investigation Forum : BOOKS
***Hi Spider******Hi Spider***
Subject Topic: The Haunting in Connecticut
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
administrator
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Posted: 26/March/2009 at 7:02pm | IP Logged ***Hi Spider***

The story surrounding the title and the claimed victims, Al and Carmen Snedeker as well as the claimed investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren was based on the book "In A Dark Place" by Ray Garton.

Pat and Brian interviewed Ray on their show and we'll be adding some of the interview here once it is converted to text.

Edited by administrator on 29/March/2009 at 2:35pm
Back to Top View administrator's Profile Search for other posts by administrator Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

RayGarton

Posted: 01/April/2009 at 7:25am | IP Logged ***Hi Spider***

It's taken me awhile to do it, but I've finally joined the forum.
Back to Top View RayGarton's Profile Search for other posts by RayGarton Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

administrator
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Posted: 01/April/2009 at 8:05pm | IP Logged ***Hi Spider***

Ray Garton has one of the original hardcover "In a Dark Place" 1st edition up for auction on eBay. Here is the authors notes at the bottom of the auction description:

Note from the author:
When I was hired to write this book, I traveled to Connecticut to spend time with the Snedeker family and paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.  As I gathered information for the book, I found that the stories told by the individual family members clashed with each other and would not fit into one smooth whole.  Frustrated, I told Ed Warren about the problem I was having.  "Oh, these people are crazy," he said.  "All the people who come to us are crazy -- that's why they come to us.  Just use what you can and make the rest up.  You write scary books?  Well, make up what you have to and make it scary, that's why we hired you."  Knowing the book was going to be sold as "non-fiction," I was disturbed by this, but I was already contractually obligated to write the book.  So I did.  But ever since, I've been telling the truth about it.  It was all a carefully calculated lie fabricated by the Snedekers and the Warrens in the hopes that they would get a book deal, and possibly a movie deal, out of it.  That was what the Warrens did, that was how they worked.  Ed Warren has since died, but Lorraine Warren and her nephew John Zaffis continue to work this way.  Carmen Snedeker -- now Carmen Reed -- has tried to distance herself from this book by saying she and her family had little or no involvement in it.  That's not true.  I spent a lot of time with the Snedekers in their home, they signed off on this, they read the book, and their names are on the cover.  They were very involved.  But now Carmen needs to put some distance between herself and this book because she has reinvented the tale for the movies.  The new film The Haunting in Connecticut is a retelling of this story, but it's no more a "true story" now than it was back then.  If you do some research online, you'll find that it's all a fabrication.  The Snedekers knew the house was a former funeral home when they rented it.  Their son had a drug problem and was diagnosed schizophrenic.  I was not allowed to meet the boy when I was writing In A Dark Place, but I was able to talk to him briefly on the phone, closely monitored by Carmen.  When he told me that the things he saw and heard in the house went away after he was medicated, Carmen abruptly ended the conversation.  The family had a history of not paying their rent, and they didn't start having "demonic" problems in the Connecticut house until they'd gone without paying rent for so long that they were about to be evicted.  None of it is "true," but I did my best to write a book that told a good scary story, and I hope I succeeded.  That's up to the reader.

Back to Top View administrator's Profile Search for other posts by administrator Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

***Hi Spider******Hi Spider***
Printable version Printable version